LA CaTS Cores & Resources
Donna Ryan, MD
LA CaTS Center Principal Investigator
Administrative Core Director
L. Lee Hamm, MD
LA CaTS Co-Program Director
Steve Nelson, MD
LA CaTS Co-Program Director
LSUHSC New Orleans
Sylvia Goldman, PhD
Director of Operations, Center Tracking & Evaluation
William Cefalu, MD
LA CaTS Center Principal Investigator 2012 - 2/2017
The Administrative Core facilitates the business and management structure for bringing about the meaningful and inclusive collaborations that form the heart of the LA CaTS Center. This Core sets the tone for a Center culture devoted to integration and performance by coordinating and articulating the work conducted by the Center’s 10 key components. With direction from our leadership team, we ensure effective Center services, facilitate implementing the strategic plan and track the Center’s progress in achieving goals. Our objectives include providing Center Offices, facilitating access to Center Resources, encouraging interaction, building collaborations, maintaining available resources, and providing consistent information. All of these things are vital for scientists and investigators who are interested in pursuing careers in clinical and translational (CT) research, particularly those involved with the current NIH COBRE and INBRE programs in Louisiana.
Leadership for the activities carried out by this Core include:
- Donna Ryan, MD: LA CaTS Center PI and Administrative Core Director: Dr. Ryan is also the Executive Director at Pennington Biomedical Research Center.
- L. Lee Hamm, MD, and LA CaTS Center Co-Program Director: Dr. Hamm is the Senior Vice President and Dean of the School of Medicine at Tulane University.
- Steve Nelson, MD and LA CaTS Center Co-Program Director: Dr. Nelson is also the Dean of the LSU Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) School of Medicine in New Orleans, which houses six Basic Sciences departments, 16 Clinical Sciences departments, and 12 Centers of Excellence.
The Administrative core convenes the following committees and boards:
- LA CaTS Center Internal Advisory Committee (IAC) provides governance for the Center and is composed of the highest institutional leaders from the Center’s lead and primary collaborating institutions; Dr. Kathleen Brady, PI of the South Carolina CTSA (IDeA partner state); representatives from INBRE; and, scientific faculty from Pennington.
- LA CaTS Center Scientific Review Board (LSRB) ensures that the Center is addressing the needs of the scholars, disciplines and institutions, particularly in support of the COBRE/INBREs. It also provides a forum for coordinating all of our NCRR centers (COBRE and INBRE). The LSRB is primarily composed of the Principal Investigators of NCRR center grants (i.e. COBREs) and also senior scientists from the collaborating institutions as appointed by the Internal Advisory Committee
- LA CaTS Center Steering Committee and its Executive Committee provides the day-to-day leadership to ensure a) that activities of all the Key Component Resources and Cores are coordinated to enable fluidity, integration and seamless delivery of services; and b) cross-institutional leadership and accountability for executing the Center’s strategic and management plans. The Steering Committee is composed of the PI, Co-Program Directors, Core and Resource Leaders and the Director of Operations.